Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!!


John writes:

Happy Mothers Day! A day that is set aside to recognize the absolute dependency of the world on mothers! And how feeble the attempt no matter how much we do. We are all brought to remember the gift of a mother to each of us and, while most are not perfect, some achieve a greater level than others. Still, nothing should diminish the fact that every mother on ea
rth had to walk through that valley of the shadow of death to bring us into this world. I, for one, am grateful for the sacrifice that trip demanded and yet, most mothers shrug it off as an everyday occurrence. But for me I still say “Thanks, Mom, I know you can hear me!”

My thoughts are also turned to those mothers that, even on this day, are fighting to survive a violent relationship, those who are beaten regularly and those who have not survived the brutal attacks. How can society turn a loving, smiling hypocritical face to the world and say happy Mothers Day, and then go right back to doing nothing about the 25% of mothers in our society who are so severely abused?

Recently Linda has been trying to promote “Domestic Violence the Musical?” here in Phoenix. It will play Monday night at the Herberger Theater, for those who do not know. But I digress; Linda made arrangements with a local TV station to be on live to talk about the play and the impact on women and kids lives. She received a call from the station that they would not be able to keep this commitment, because it was Mothers Day Week End! You want to talk about something that makes you say, “HMMMMMM!” What better gift can be given all womanhood than a sincere effort to keep them from being abused! Oh, I know not all are beaten, but 25% of them is a lot more than a token number.


To me, this attitude just points out that most people either don’t get it or don’t believe it.
What can we do more to change this attitude? I suppose just what Fix The Hurt is doing, just keep butting the head against that wall!

So I close by saying “HAPPY MOTHERS DAY” To 75% of the mothers out there. To the other 25% I can only say that you are in our every thought, prayer, and effort!


John Says: Quoting George Carlin------- “Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.”

No comments: